Saturday, January 2, 2016

about the peas...

...that I knew I absolutely must consume on New Year's or risk disaster in the next 364 days. They cooked and cooked and cooked and never got done. Admittedly I was at a disadvantage, since they did not go into the pot to simmer until the pork roast was being dished up. I won't apologize for going off gallivanting instead of sitting by the fire (or with my feet in the ashes a la fairy tale.) And zero liklihood of the guy left at home in front of the TV taking responsibility for tending to the black eyed peas. The football games definitely took precedence.

I thought when I purchased the little plastic box of peas in the produce dept. on Thurs. evening as I was leaving work, they were 'fresh', ready to cook, and would only take a few minutes to get done. As it turned out, they were only 'soaked' from dried. With instructions to cook until they got tender. Which never happened. So I was forced to eat them crunchy before going to bed. Not really all that bad, though not what you expect from black eyed peas. More the texture of garbanzos. Which is really ok - since i will be reheating to consume in the next couple of days.

Just to keep my mother from spinning in her grave: I ate my peas on New Year's Day. Hopefully enough to ward off any impending disaster that will surely befall those who failed to consume the proper configuration of safeguards on the first day of a new year. No pork, no greens, but plenty of (crunchy) peas. I'm going to cook some rice this morning to take a dish of leftovers to work for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment