Tuesday, November 3, 2015

cookin at work...(pork with pasta)

...makin' this thing that starts with a pork loin, so when the passersby ask about the taste? I'm saying: "I don't know, since I don't eat pork." Think about it... chewing on a porker. It's kinda funny in an unfunny way (which is I assume the definition of Irony?) that I would like all the ingredients, except for the part that comes directly from the animal, and not be willing to give it a try. But really: if you know you like everything that is in the recipe, it's a  pretty safe assumption you would like the end product, right?

In the effort to be completely transparent, I will go ahead and say I did not put the pork loin in my mount. But I did eat some of the pasta dish, which is nearly as bad, with bacon bits. As well as oh-my-goodness sun dried tomatoes. And oh-yuck wilted spinach. It was pretty good, though a bit spicier than something I would normally choose to consume.

So here's the recipe, like it is printed in the newspaper ad. and on the laminated cards.

Chipolte-mango pork with pasta

1/2 cups water
1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
2 Tbs. canola oil, divided (which I mostly left out of the pasta)
1 pouch chipotle pasta side dish mix (we were using Knorr, 4.3 oz.)
1 pork tenderloin (about one pound)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup fresh mango peach salsa, well drained
2 Tbs. fresh cilantro finely chopped
1/2 cup light mayonnaise (olive oil)
2 tsp. chipotle pepper sauce (Tabasco makes this)
2 cups, lightly packed fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup cooked bacon pieces/bits
1/4 cup julienne cut, sun dried tomatoes, drained

Start pasta according to package directions.
Preheat large skillet, add 1 Tbs. oil. Pork should be cut into four fairly equal long slices, by cutting lengthwise, then cut in half. Season with salt. Cook about 6-8 min, till lightly browned, turning as needed. Stir together drained salsa, chopped cilantro, mayonnaise, pepper sauce. Reduce heat in skillet, stir in sauce, cook about 3 min. more, check with probe for safety: 145 temp.
Stir bacon, tomato, spinach in pasta.

Advice and alterations: I used 1 tsp. of hot sauce, and would just leave it out entirely if I was to make it at home. And would likely not use the chipotle flavored pasta mix. Just too much 'bite' for my mouth. I sliced up the pork while the sauce was simmering on low, stirring in a bit of water if it gets too dry, and kept the pork slices warm during the 30 min. of serving time. I suspect that, like lots of things that improve with time, the flavor is really good if you have leftovers of the pork loin, sitting in the sauce to reheat the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment