Sunday, November 29, 2015

today is Nov. 29...

...which is my mom's birthday. She died in 2009. I've been thinking about her all day, mostly because it is her birthday. I would call her and sing the Birthday Song if I could. It was a difficult relationship at best, and she could be a hard person get close to if she choose to keep you at arm's length. But if she wanted to befriend you, you knew you had a devoted friend for life.

I try to remember to put a little memorial notice in the hometown paper every year to celebrate her birthday, as well as a notice close to the day she died in January. Usually there is a sweet poem, or interesting quote or a meaningful Bible verse, along with a photo. But this year, the wording after her name and the dates, just said 'we love you'.

I was talking to a customer today who is 'way too chatty, always provides too much information about her family and personal matters. She was talking about her mom who came over and brought food on Thanksgiving - that she would not eat, and put in the trash, saying her mom does not keep her house very clean. Sort of 'trash talking' about her mom, who I know and: yes, she might be a tad off-center.

I know people like that, and am very wary of eating anything that comes out of the kitchen of a person who does not keep counters and floors relatively clean, or licks the spoon repeatedly while stirring. But I wanted to tell her: 'my mom's gone, you need to try to be more thankful while yours is still around.' So if you still got your mom, you should stop what you are doing, and call her - right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment