Thursday, November 26, 2015

over the river...

...and through the woods... (delete the river part). Getting ready to travel for Thanksgiving lunch. Looking forward to family gathering. Having said to lots of customers in the workplace how sweet it is to have all your favorite people sit down to a meal. Can't think of anything I enjoy more. See there: it don't take much to make me happy.

I finished my squash casserole last night and put it in the oven just now. Had a hard time deciding how much to make - it's really good leftover, and I could easily eat it for lunch for a week. But only have a small 9 x 9 casserole dish, so hope that will be enough to feed the group that will show up with napkins tucked under their chins.

The pumpkin pie has been in the freezer for a couple of days, ready to travel. I actually made three. Came in from work yesterday with the intention of making two more, to give away to friends. So I stirred them up and delivered one to a friend who works at church, and the other to a couple who host community group/home church each week. Saying 'you can eat too much and still have room for a slice of pie, since it is mostly air'.

I had decided to make a couple more pies, and knew I did not want to stand in that interminable check out line. The place where people appear to not know Turkey Day is coming until the day before it arrives. So they all come barreling in the grocery store on the Wed. before Thurs. and buy these huge frozen turkeys  that take days to thaw. Somehow expecting to feed the crowd twenty-four hours later. Grocery carts brimming with enough to feed a battalion.

 I got my pie ingredients when I went in to work at 6:00.  And walked to the front of the store to pay as soon as they unlocked the front door at 7:00 (this from the person who swore to not to be buying food/ingredients on the day before Thanksgiving), so I would not be gnashing my teeth behind customers who had hundreds of dollars worth of goods. And was fortunately out of there before noon, at home stirring up the wonderful fluffy pumpkin pie to share with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment