Thursday, November 19, 2015

up early to go...

...into a class I signed up for several months ago. Offered by a local hospital as a continuing education opportunity, that will hopefully reduce my cost of auto insurance. When I paid the most recent bill I thought to myself: 'this seems like more than I have been paying every six months for coverage?' After checking payment history, I find that it had increased considerably, and decided it was due to the 'good driver' discount being discontinued.

Sadly, upon contacting the continuing education program at the local hospital, I found that the entire cont. ed. program had been eliminated due to severe financial woes. Recent news reports indicated that the after an audit the medical facility found they were thirty million dollars in the red. That really sounds unlikely - how can an outfit with an entire bookkeeping/accounting department full of people who constantly check on expenses and income/ balance the ledgers loose thirty million bucks? That sounds more than a little suspicious to me.

One of their cost cutting measures was to completely eliminate their 'communications department'. So no continuing education classes to help their patients. No informational programs to benefit the community. No driver education programs to help me get a discount? Well, not quite that extreme. But according to the one person left in the office to answer the telephone and assist consumers, the only program they currently offer is this one through AARP, for senior drivers. Set up before the whole department was dismantled.

Which is why I am up and ready to go in to the driver education class, ready to spend the day trying to keep my eyes propped open. Hopefully not fall out of my chair. Devote seven hours to a class that would put an insomniac to sleep with repetitive information about safety practices behind the wheel. All to get a ten percent discount on my auto insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment