Tuesday, November 3, 2015

suprise, surprise, suprise...

... occurred when I looked in the mail box on Saturday afternoon. I have long learned that part of being an Adult is that most of the stuff you pull out of the mail box will somehow be related to "U-O-Me". In that there are rarely friendly greetings, and almost invariably some request for funds. Not necessarily my new-found-relatives in Nigeria, but some financial obligation that needs addressing.

I opened the box and pulled out an envelope from the dentist. Thinking they were billing me for more to cover the cost of replacing two teeth in recent months. The first one was not absolutely, positively necessary - but had such dire warnings I forced myself  to keep an appointment I had cancelled twice. Literally 'forced' is the word best used when walking in the door of the dental practice, right? He'd been assuring me for a year that I was going to have a problem if I did not take steps to remedy the anticipated likelihood of a mouth disaster.

I am thankful for that little dental insurance policy I pay for every week as a pre-tax deduction on my pay check. Particularly after having called around and priced a replacement  tooth a couple of years ago, and found most dentists charge about $1200 to help you out of a crisis. Partially so high when you are not a regular patient of the practice, and partly because they can. My guy has the latest in electronic gizmos, that models a tooth in the computer and sends the diagram/schematic to the machine that generates the little porcelain product. They then check for fit, adjust as necessary and stain/fire to match your tooth color. So customers are paying for Big Toys for Big Boys as well as service when you are in a bind.

Any way - the insurance claim paid more than any one expected, so I got a refund. Yay! Travel funds!  Especially when you consider he could have kept it for himself and no one would have been the wiser. So - thanks, Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment