Wednesday, September 9, 2015

you may have heard...

... the expression: 'rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic'? Indicating someone performing a pointless, useless, worthless, hopeless, fruitless task. I have spent several hours covering slightly inflated balloons with squares of tissue paper, painting on watered-down glue to secure the paper to the curved surface of the balloon. Making papier mache balloons.

As I was sitting Tuesday afternoon and again today, covering my five balloons with white tissue, the expression came to mind. Anyone who saw me diligently at work, trying to add another layer would surely think: crazie person. But there is a method to my madness. Involving a plan I hatched nearly a year ago, and procrastinated so perfectly, I am just now putting my thoughts into action.

Going to the Lantern Parade on the Beltway in Atlanta on Saturday night. And had this brilliant idea that I would hang some lights from the framework of an umbrella. And make some little papier mache things that would look like jelly fish, suspended from the edges of the umbrella frame, also lit up with glow sticks inside.

Waiting for the paper to dry, and me to feel like there are enough layers for the mache to hold it's shape without the balloon on the interior for support. I plan to poke a hole in the smooth curved end, and stick a string in, tie on a toothpick to hold it in place. And suspend the mache form from the spokes of the umbrella frame. Glue on some curling ribbons to look like those long languid floating streamers you see on jelly fish, and insert a glow necklace through the little hole in the bottom, where the balloon was tied.

If the paper collapses when I pop the balloon, due to not having enough layers to be stable/firm, I guess I will try again next year. As well as wish I had gotten started sooner....

No comments:

Post a Comment