Friday, September 18, 2015

#2 sub. teaching day...

...at the elementary school just down the street from our house. It was as a replacement for a para.pro/aide in a pre-K classroom. A whirling bustling chaotic day of continual activity. From the time they walked in the classroom at 7:45, depositing lunch boxes and book bags at the door until the carpool came and picked them up at 2:30. Plenty of time on the playground in the early morning to run, swing, jump, bounce, shout - that seemed to have no visible effect on the general bedlam of the rest of the day. The teacher was more than capable, had them in hand throughout the day, and seemed to fully able to manage two dozen energetic little people.

When I did a sub. job a couple of weeks ago, at another elementary school up on the north side of town, the same age group, different school, they also went out to run off steam early in the morning. I walked around that play area picking up trash while they were dashing to and fro for thirty minutes. No one seemed to notice me policing the area - teachers probably thought I was pretty strange. When I started picking up trash: styrofoam cups, bottle caps, flattened plastic bottles, odd bits of paper, candy wrappers - several of the kids started picking up trash with me. I picked up a plastic shopping bag, and we filled it up before I made them stop and go play, run around with classmates.

I left there about 2:45, and stopped by the house then went to work, to my 'real' job, for three hours. My cohort in floral dept. is out of town for several days, and left some things I needed to get done for pick up on the weekend. I made several corsages and boutonnieres, some bows of silk ribbons, two cut arrangements to put in the cooler for walk-up sale, plus two more that were for orders for Saturday.

I was invited to come to work tomorrow, but had already requested the day off to do some volunteering for Girl Scouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment