Saturday, September 5, 2015

scouting around...

...in my back yard. Looking for some sort of vining thing that would be long enough as well as flexible to twist into a circle. Some type plant: I was hoping for some wild grape vine/muscadine or honeysuckle that always shows up where you don't want it. Needing to make small hoops, relatively round to take to scout camp in a couple of weeks for crafting.

One of the projects we've talked about doing with older girls who have registered to be at camp over a weekend is something similar to dream catchers. The things you see in shops and catalogs full of Native American crafts advertised as made to hang over a cradle board to keep evil spirits away. I will definitely need to do some research to get more info., history/background and try to not include the part about 'evil spirits' but not sure about actual facts.

I did not find the vine-y stuff I had hoped for (and hope I do not find myself consumed with red bugs at bed time). But did trim the forsythia that has long arc-ing branches to see if that might work for the frame on which the girls will tie threads/string/beads to make the dream catcher. I snipped about thirty pieces and sat in the back yard, unintentionally feeding the mosquitos, bending the branches into sorta-kinda-mostly round'ish loops to see how that will do. I actually made one with some heavy string to remind myself how to do it. It looks pretty good, for not having done it in years. Found a few cheesy beads to add, and wishing for some tacky colored feathers to finish it off.

Have to give them a few days/week and see if they will be satisfactory when they dry. I noticed several places nearby where kudzu drapes on trees along right-of-way, so I might go whack some of that and possibly find a decent purpose for the bane of the south.  Let's find something useful for kudzu besides feeding goats. Remember back in the sixties when people were smoking it?

No comments:

Post a Comment