Friday, September 4, 2015

first time...

...for this school year. I have a sub. teaching job, sort of. I think there should be a different word to use when it is semi-legitimate, in the sense that I am not actually the teacher. Today I will fill a position as the person who is replacing what used to be known as 'teacher's aide' and is now called 'para-pro.' (sounding only marginally capable/professional?)

You may have read the blog about going to the required training session mid-summer, where all potential replacements were informed we should plan to accept a minimum of ten jobs per semester. Or be dropped from the list of approved substitutes. I've laid in bed in the early mornings, pondering this and concluded that doing it two days each month would provide those minimum requirements. But we got into be Sept. and I had not started. Went to the website that is set up to show openings/daily needs on Wed. night and found me a little jobette for Friday. Going to an elementary school on the north side of town, to spend the day in a Kindergarten class as the assistant/aide.

I've been getting calls occasionally from the computer driven system offering jobs. The phone will ring at 6:00 in the morning, waking me, or in the evenings, startling me so I jump in alarm. Due to other things in  my life, like work and travel, assorted prior commitments, I've not accepted any of the substituting work. So naturally after I had already committed for today, I had a call from the office staffer that occasionally calls, thinking I might be available on short notice. Sadly, I had already agreed to this other position up on the north side. Hopefully I will not be pulling my hair out before it is over at 2:30.

I am definitely keeping score - it's such a thankless job I certainly do not want to do any more than the minimum. Plus: filling in for the aide doesn't pay enough to make it worth the stress that accumulates in the course of the day. Fortunately I can walk away at the end of the day, knowing I don't have to do it all day every day, five days a week for nine months. Teachers: whatever they are getting paid - it's not enough for what they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment