Monday, June 15, 2015

that rental vehicle...

... was not what I was expecting at all. I thought I would get a van that is the size you see hauling kids to day-camp or VBS. The one that has bench seats and theoretically holds fifteen adults or two dozen bouncing, hysterical, screaming kids. Headed out to the pool or park, or taking the senior citizens on a field trip to the grocery store.

But this one was definitely of the delivery variety. It was a Dodge, and much bigger than I anticipated.  When I had to get in it, at the rental store, I had a hard time climbing up onto the seat. Pulling myself in by the steering wheel. And then feeling like I was responsible for maneuvering the Space Station when I started it up. I'd searched for vans, desperate to avoid driving those boxy things that U Haul rents, and hoping something more manageable. Even the cargo-sized vans feel like driving a school bus, as I remember from my years of delivering flowers, as well as teenagers in youth group, but much smaller and easier to handle than the boxes on wheels from Penske.

If I had known I was getting so much space for my rental fee, I think I would have planned to bring more furniture back here to try to sell. I already have more furniture in my house than I want.  I don't know where I would have put it once I got back, as the living/dining area still looks like all I need for Musical Chairs is a dozen people to chase around from one seat to the next.

Feeling like I need to be moving forward with emptying the space to make it available for renting, I am ready to find someone who will want that stuff. Hoping I can sell, as it is good, well made quality furniture. Not having any success thus far with sending out photos and calling used furniture shops in south GA. Not quite to the point of giving it away, but edging closer all the time, beginning to feel a sense of necessity, or maybe urgency, ready to let it all go.

The vehicle was big enough that I probably could have filled it with all the upholstered furniture as well  the tables I wanted, but it just did not occur to me to add more pieces. Mostly because: where would I put it, and where could I find someone who would take it off my hands? Musical Chairs, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment