Friday, June 12, 2015

possibly a limited editon/local version...

...of what is commonly known as jet lag, otherwise referred to as travelers' fatigue. That does not transverse time zones, but does travel south and back north again. Which would, I think, be considered as moving vertically on the planet while still bound by gravity? 

I rented a van and drove to south GA. Got up really early and headed south on Thursday morning. I recruited a friend to go along, for company and good advice. P. is the smartest person I know, and always a good source for looking a quandry from a different angle, pondering solutions. She is remarkably resourceful and an excellent problem solver, someone I often go to for wisdom and putting things in perspective.  P. was 'game' for spending over six hours riding in the rental van with me to go down and back, but is probably not yet fully recovered. Me too. It will be another day or so before normal, whatever that might be.

I have promised myself any number of times in recent years I would not attempt to make that drive in one day. And have to keep making that promise as I continue with foolish behavior: spending more time in the going and coming than the being there. As a body ages, that sort of foolishness seems more like abuse than amusement. And the things I would have historically classified as entertainment are edging over towards the mistreatment end of the scale.

There were a couple of pieces of really nice, handmade furniture I wanted to get and it seemed like the only way to relocate was to take the bull by the horns. I did, it's done, and I am thankful I was not the one who was doing the bull  moving. A friend in south GA had recruited another strong back to help with the loading. I had asked a couple of people who often get drafted to help with local moves to come out to do the heavy lifting for unloading.

Everything needs wiping down. Covered with mildew and dust.

But the thing that is funny from where I am sitting is it looks like we are ready to play party games. The dining table that was already here, a large rectangle, big enough to comfortably seat at a minimum of six, possibly ten, has eight chairs. Then I brought in six more, along with a smaller round table. Plus, already here in the living room: a XL recliner, a rocking chair, a love seat, a large three or four person sofa. Seating for twenty plus.

So the room now looks like it's time for a rollicking round of Musical Chairs. We just need some peppy music and party hats. A mob of squabbling, sugar-hyped, quarreling, over-tired children is all I need to have more fun than a barrel of squabbling, sugar-hyped, quarreling, over-tired monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment