Wednesday, June 17, 2015

lamb's ear plants...

...are what came as a bonus when I went to dig the susan plants yesterday. I had been up to get some from this same gardening buddy a couple of years ago. They obviously did not like the location I had chosen the first go-round, as only a couple survived. Surprising since I have seen then growing in remarkably undesirable, un-fertile locations, where they established under far less than perfect circumstances. I'd put them in good dirt, watered fairly often, and even talked to occasionally, hoping to boost their spirits and confidence to ensure success and longevity.

So, I will try again, in a different place, with vastly different light and soil amendments. I like fuzzy things, as well as variegated leaves. The lamb's ear is really fuzzy foliage, with oval shaped leaves. It makes a tall stalk when it blooms and goes to seed, about 18 inches in height. I need to get it in the ground, but not today as I am due at work in an hour.

Thinking about some place where it will be sufficiently neglected, as that seems to be the key to success. A place in the back yard where nothing, literally Not A Thing grows. Though we have lived in this location for decades, there are still places where the red clays shows, and nothing has been able to take root over the years. Most of these places are just covered with leaf mulch. But the blow-and-go guys come through, and think they are being helpful by using the blower to push the leaves back, thereby exposing bare earth, with nothing to help hold it in place. I'm hoping the fuzzy lamb's ear will like it there, with quite a bit of brutal mid-day sunshine, and a bit of filtered shared early and late in the day. For the price of the plants, certainly worth digging and giving it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment