Sunday, June 21, 2015

about that raffle and dessert contest at the park...

... I would have to say: fifty-fifty. I was able to get rid of most of the stuff I took for the raffle. And the stuff that no one wanted, plant-wise, I left with my cousin in South Carolina. Who lives out in the country just on the east side of the Savannah River with enough acres to plant things and turn them loose. I'd invited myself to go on over to SC and visit, spend the night. Always a Joy to spend time with, but so far away I don't see her nearly as often as I would like.

Not since the last family gathering a year ago, when I was up near Augusta, and drove over for a short visit after the meeting at the state park. I had written driving instructions down on a note card, stuck in the glove box, and handy to help me navigate to her house out in the woods. But somehow, tooling along, missed the turn off for the road that leads to her house. And as I gradually realized I had driven much too far, and not seeing the right street sign, or anything that looked even vaguely familiar, I: made a U turn. And found them at home, with three excitable dogs, and the biggest tomato plants I have ever seen in my life.  Her grandmother and my grandmother were sisters. And my mom was especially fond of her grandma (who would have been my mother's aunt), though she lived up near Augusta, too far away to see frequently.

And the dessert contest: I made this cardiac-inviting recipe that I was certain would be a winner. And it came in third. After a very unremarkable, ordinary coconut pie, that placed second. And an especially common lemon bar recipe that the judges thought to be First Class. So I said: 'Stick a fork in me, I'm done'. Completely finished with participating in a rigged, biased, highly questionable dessert contest. And gave the leftovers to the cousin in SC who will be much more appreciative of good eats that those men who were thoroughly unqualified as Judges.

No comments:

Post a Comment