Wednesday, June 17, 2015

planting...

...things that are/can be passed along from one plant lover to another.  I went up to the south edge of Harris county late yesterday to get some perennials a fellow gardener was giving away. She put a notice up for anyone who wanted to come and get. I did not expect I would be the one digging, and also failed to take a bucket to put the plants in. Which is not all bad, as they were so big, they would not have fit in the bucket. I did have a big piece of heavy duty plastic I put down to sit dirty thing on when I use my car as a truck, so put the two big clumps with dirt on the plastic and in the back.

Still didn't know how to 'containerize' the oversized greenery once I got home. So: lined black plastic milk crates with trash bags, and put them in the crates. Which makes them fairly portable, with hand holds to pick up and move. And not leaking, spreading dirt every where, plus I can water them a bit, to help stay alive and prevent shock from being so rudely uprooted.

Still: I didn't know what I would do with them. Wondering during the drive home: 'what was I thinking?' due to not really having anyplace I wanted to put the healthy, hearty, larger-than-I-expected clumps of plants. The donor, E., had called them 'black eyed susan', but from the size it's likely they are rudbeckia, which is a large daisy shape, with yellow petals surrounding a black or dark brown center. I am thinking I will plant a few of the smaller ones I can peel off the clump, but don't really have any place to put such a generous offering.

Happily I called the next generation of plant lovers and offered a plan. So I can keep them watered and take to Decatur to relocate. To a nice little plot of dirt that will be the perfect spot for the smiling faces of the susan plants to grow for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment