Monday, June 22, 2015

occasionally driving...

... cancer patients to treatment. I have done this maybe half a dozen times. One last week was what I presume from the pick up location/information to be homeless. I was sort of anxious about this man. But he had requested a ride, so I went to get him and deliver to his appointment at the cancer center. It was uneventful. I had a little errand to run, and put him out at the door, saying I would come back and wait in the designated area for him to be finished. He was waiting for me when I returned in about fifteen minutes.

I offered to take him anyplace he wanted to go, and he requested a ride downtown. So I drove to the place he wanted to go and let him out. Hard to imagine being rootless, not knowing where you can safely lay down you head when you get tired. Uncertain of where the next meal might be found. And to pile the need for medical assistance/treatments on top of that. A life so foreign to mine I cannot begin to grasp what it must be like.

I assume he grew up being loved, cared for, fed, clothed, needs met within a family environment. I did not ask a lot of questions, and don't know anything about him. But know the smallest activities of daily life that many of us routinely do, take for granted, can be challenging for people who have no place to sleep, shower, eat regularly, store valuables. Time to be thankful for lots of blessings we don't often stop to realize we are taking for granted: reliable income, frequent meals, clean clothing, durable footwear, comfortable beds in safe homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment