Thursday, June 18, 2015

diggin'...

...holes: best therapy ever. I had such an awful day at work yesterday, I came home and went to bed in tears. That is not a good way to live. Not a good working situation. Not good for one's mental health. Not the kind of job that provides any sort of satisfaction or a sense of accomplishment. Not something that would inspire a person to want to go back and do that over and over again, and get the same response. (I am thinking that is pretty close to the definition of stupidity.)

But I have spent the day out in the yard, digging and planting. Had several things in pots that I really wanted to get in the ground. Gaura, that I bought back in the spring and nearly let die. And several clumps of purple coneflowers that were in too much shade under butterfly bushes that needed relocating to get more sun and bloom better. So I have been rearranging plants most of the day. In addition to making homemade dirt, with compost, vermiculite, potting soil and time-release fertilizer, to give all those things I planted a good start. Which has been very gratifying and an excellent distraction from the anxiety I have been feeling about a miserable work situation.

I am going to a family reunion this weekend, and wanted to take some plants in pots. They do this amusing thing where people bring stuff to donate, and everyone buys raffle tickets for items they want. I have taken art in past years: those papier mache frames I made years ago, and hand painted, added calligraphy and then inserted mirrors in the center. Thinking they would sell at craft fairs: didn't happen.  But they turned out to be very popular items as donations at the family gathering for raffling. Some of the plants I relocated out of the flower bed are things I put in pots to haul across the state for adding to the assortment of the raffle fun on Saturday. If you want to have any to put out in your yard: butterfly bush, pineapple sage (you don't want- terribly invasive), coleus, coneflower: now's the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment