Saturday, July 19, 2014

feeling like...

... a complete doofus. I do not routinely confess to dumb stuff, and even more rarely am I willing to make public announcements. But I am so pleased to know 'that which was lost has been found', I am ready to admit that I am the culprit. I'd claimed to have looked in all the likely places - more than once, to the point of cleaning out my car several times. With the thought that I had tucked the shoes in one of those recyclable shopping bags residing there, that I never seem to actually use for groceries. I looked and looked and looked.

And was so desperate to figure out where I took them off, I made some calls, asking around with people who might be helpful. Thinking I had left work, wearing those ugly black lace up shoes, and gone straight to visit, accidently leaving my shoes tucked under a bed elsewhere. No one was helpful. No where to be found, though I had searched my car, closet, house, storage space in workshop... Baffled, and nearly to the point of replacing them. Because as you, I, and Murphy know, there is a Law that states as soon as you replace the MIA article, it will mysteriously reappear. In my frustration at not being able to find them, I was ready to buy more - just to make them resurface.

I asked my co-worker on Thursday when I left if there was any chance he had seen the tricky shoes. When I went in the store this morning to buy nearly forty dollars worth of fresh flowers for this Art Guild floral arrangement donation, he said tried to tell me they were right there all along. In the storage closet where I had left them. I said: "No, not that pair, another that my feet like much more." He said, "Two pairs are in the closet." In my doubt, I had to go look. Lo and behold: my missing shoes, right where I left them. Making me so pleased with the find, I am willing to fess up to being the one who obviously put them there, and forgot where.  I feel like such a doofus.

But am so glad to think that I do not have to buy more, just to get the management people off my back. One of those guys has been harping at every opportunity (meaning every day I have worked in recent weeks) about 'unauthorized foot wear'. They are supposed to be 'non-slip soles', either solid black or solid white. I have been wearing my everyday walking shoes that are none of the above, though they are much kinder to my feets.

 So now I can wear the shoes the store demands for people who work on wet floors. Or places where the watermelon and pineapple juice make the tile floor so sticky, you feel like your soles have been glued down. Reminding me of kitchen floor with little people constantly spilling apple juice and tea, leaving invisible sticky spots that would pull your socks off if you walked through without shoes.

Hope you enjoyed a good laugh at my expense... and I would like to believe if that is the worst thing I do, forgetful-wise, I am in good shape. But I know the slope is both long and slippery, so not overly optimistic on that point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment