Thursday, July 10, 2014

a bit of common sense...

...seems to be a rarity in Washington DC but I do believe some is needed in order to turn things around. I am reading a book by Dr. Ben Carson, loaned from the library. I heard him being interviewed recently on a public radio program, and was interested in knowing more.  I read his first book: "Gifted Hands", a sort of autobiography some years ago, so was aware of his background, but not much about more current activities.

Before I received the one I am reading now, that I requested from the library, they found another one that I read several weeks ago. In the same vein as "One Nation", written with his wife. But with more history, about his work as a surgeon. He is the doctor who first successfully separated twins who were born with skulls together. And has pioneered other remarkable surgeries during his thirty five year career. Retired from the head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, now living in FL.

His story is remarkable, having been raised by a single mom who had a third grade education and worked several jobs to provide for her two sons. He and his wife founded Carson Scholars Fund to provides tuition for students who are classroom achievers. He noted that athletics and team sports provide awards, trophies but good grades and diligence in study often goes unrewarded, so he wanted to recognize academic achievement.

I'm thinking I have heard something about the Tea Party wanting to draft him to run for president? I am so impressed with his abundance of common sense, as well as character, and Biblical principles I would definitely vote for him. I'm not all that wild about Tea Partiers but Carson seems to be a man who is believes in the things the founding fathers did, and makes me feel like he is a guy who wants to return America to Greatness, instead of dwelling on political correctness.

No comments:

Post a Comment