Tuesday, July 29, 2014

currently reading...

... a book I requested from the library. I can't recall the last time I actually purchased a book, but I do read a lot. Either things I pick up at random from off the shelf in the library or something I have heard about from listening to Public Radio and think I should look into.  I have a couple right now, that are requested items. One is a compilation of columns by a sports writer, Rick Riley, I heard interviewed while I was driving, that I thought would be entertaining. "Tiger, Meet My Sister (and other things I should not have said)".  So far, pretty amusing.

The other is something I recommend to all my female readers. Men would likely not be able to appreciate for any number of reasons. But every woman I know really needs to read "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg.  I'd read stuff about it, probably in Time magazine when it was first published, and didn't think much about it. But as I keep hearing comments and people talking about it, I decided I must be missing something. You've probably heard something about her or the book. She is the COO of Facebook, and has a remarkable history of success in the business world, including a Harvard MBA and working for the Treasury Department.

It is so thoughtful and thought-provoking. I am in such total agreement, though well past the age of trying to make my way in the world, and carving out a career. Some of the things she shares from her experience in the work place are true for all women, who struggle with trying to be everything to everybody. It's well written, with lots of research, annotated with background info., and honestly: spot on. I have recommended it to daughters, and suggested they get from the library on e-book, but think it is so important to have the knowledge this book imparts, I offered to buy it for both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment