Sunday, July 6, 2014

bloomin' stuff...with photos added...


Lots of neat things blooming at my house: those Easter lilies I have planted over a number of years are all performing magnificently. There must be at least two dozen wide open, plus some other lily plants that dwere probably rescues on the way to the dumpster. Some are a dark red, some are a bright orange, some are a yellow so pale it looks almost white. With the white Easter lilies as backdrop, tall stalks with green foliage and lots of blooms, all politely bowing their heads.


 
 

And agapanathus so prolific, you 'd have to smile when you drive up and see over a dozen blooms, dressed up in a eye-candy shade of light blue. Planted in a big clump in front of the house, right near the front door, tall stalks with big clumps of small blue blooms, opening up more each day. They look very similar to big garlic blooms, so I have to wonder if they are related/in the same family. The agapanthus all came from my dad's flowerbed at 1209, so I will always think of him when I see it bloom each year.

Lots of yellow coreopsis in glorious bloom. It is a rescue of a different sort. I dug it all up last spring when I saw some blooming in the ditch, near the street I can see sitting here at the table, running along side our densely wooded lot. I was out walking, and noticed a bit beginning to bloom - so went to get my shovel. Transplanted and put in good rich (home-made) dirt, fertilized and watered generously, it has multiplied like crazy... probably to the point of possibly becoming a nuisance. I can see how it could be called invasive. And you know the difference between a weed and a wild flower, right? Like the realtor says:  Location, location, location.

No comments:

Post a Comment