Saturday, July 19, 2014

art show today...

I may have outsmarted myself with my project for today. When the local artists' Guild had their annual show last summer, I offered to make a big fresh flower arrangement for the opening reception. It was placed in the center of a long table with lots of good things to eat, finger foods people could graze on. Catered by the people who do food service for the college, so it is probably all pre-packaged, ready made from their vendor, heat and serve. But a big hit when people think:' free food.'

My friend, A., who was the organizer for this event last year, kept meticulous records. So the people who are putting it together, found my name in her list of supporters, and asked if I would donate again this go-round. Which I agreed to do. And will take all the 'ingredients' down to the CSU Art building this afternoon for assembly. A. and I delivered the huge arrangement last year in the back of her vehicle, a large SUV, with me sitting on the floor in the back holding for the drive from the east end of the county to downtown. It certainly would not fit in my little fast moving Toyo. I thought to ask my contact person if she could find someone who could pick it up at my house and deliver for me downtown. Then decided to just make it on-site.

I got the info. for the building manager and talked to him the first of the week, asking if I could get in the building when the Aramark people come to set up the buffet table. So I will gather up silver urn, flowers, greenery, clippers and go down at four o'clock to assemble my project to be ready for the 6:00 p.m. opening of the show. I figure if I get down there at 4:00, it should only take about thirty minutes to put together, get someone to lift it up on the table, then clean up the mess on the floor, to leave the area looking like I was never there. I have not shopped for flowers yet, so that is my project for this morning.

Hope I remember to take a photo. I'm still annoyed that I failed to take pix. of the wedding flowers from June. I was really pleased with the way all those roses turned out, and think the bride was happy. Still wishing I had taken a photo of the big arrangement in the silver champagne cooler to have for show and tell.  I've thought to ask the bride, now that the dust has settled, if she would send me a photo of the reception table, with the centerpiece, just to show you how nice it looked.

I did tell that person who contacted me about providing flowers, that I would like to be noted in the program, or somehow recognized for my contribution. And since it is a contribution, and the Art Guild is a non-profit, would like to get a letter I could use for tax purposes. I don't mnid doing it or donating, but certainly would like to think there will be some benefit to me. I think they assumed the flowers were donated by my employer, who can easily afford to do that - but not the case here. So I am hoping to get 'credit' for my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment