Friday, July 26, 2013

this is how my day went...

I knew it would be busy before I even went to bed last night. When there is a reason for me to need to have an alarm set to wake up 'artificially' instead of whenever my body says it's time - that means it will be a very long time before I will have an opportunity to be horizontal again. I was so concerned about getting up, I did something I have never done before: set two alarms. I was concerned that the one that is battery operated might somehow give out of juice before it startled me awake, so I had a back up in the form of one that is actually manually operated. Which means it will not continue to tick incessantly until I take the battery out - it will just run down unless re-wound.

I set the clock for 5 a.m., so I could get to work at 6. I told them I had to leave at 10, to go to a workshop at the Botanical Gardens. That would last for two hours, after which I could have time to come home, grab some lunch and change clothes. Then get my oil changed in my dependable little Toyo before I had to be at Callaway Gardens at 3:00. Where I would spend the afternoon as a volunteer at the Friday afternoon Market. Lots of local vendors selling everything from homemade bread, to tacky jewelry, to candy cotton on a paper cone, local honey, wooden kitchen accessories, baby quilts, cakes and fried pies.

And vegetables, freshly picked from the garden. The group of volunteers I was with 'man the stand' to sell the produce from Mr. Cason's Vegetable Garden. Today we had beans, peas, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, fresh plucked corn, plus some huge basil plants and little pots of chives. The smart people who want to get fresh veggies know to come as soon as the market stand opens, around 3:30 - the rest have to take whatever the smart people did not want. Oh - and okra! I bought some wee little pods to steam and eat with butter. oh, yummmmm...

I left the Gardens at 6, to go out to Ellerslie, at the end of the four-lane on Alt. 27, to a huge Baptist church - oddly planted way out in the middle of nowhere. There is literally nothing there at the intersection except a post office and volunteer fire station. And a church with a sanctuary that must seat 500. We had a really good crowd for the dinner - I'd guess close to 200. I'd been trying to save up all day for the potluck dinner... and thinking, as one would do shortly after eating the usual abundance of a Thanksgiving meal: now I need to go lay down due to having enjoyed myself too much.

Then: when I finally got home after all that busy-ness, there was an inquiry about a particular Item from Walmart. So I made a run to wallyworld. Only about ten miles there and back - but I was pretty close to running out of steam by that time of day. So I went to wallyworld, and naturally the thing I need is as far away from the front door as you can get and still be in the store. But I did, and got home, ready to brush my teeth and crash: At 10:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment