Wednesday, July 17, 2013

DIY tile class...

The people in TN have been roughing it for .... a year at least. Having completely gutted the bathroom, down to the two-by-fours, and even past the wall board to replace bad wood that had deteriorated over years of leaking and neglect. Living in a one bathroom house, when they meant to have two. Took out all the wiring, plumbing, to the point of having nothing at all in that 'formerly known as' bathroom. The bathtub has even been refinished. I think they are to the point of beginning to reassemble, and making decisions about flooring and tile.

So I received an 'offer' to come up one weekend and help with tiling the shower stall. I know less than zero about tile, even though I should be genetically pre-disposed to such handy occupations. My dad could do that sort of thing, and was of the era to be more than capable of most any type construction. Plus unwilling to pay someone to do any project he could manage on his own, keeping the funds securely in his pocket instead of paying for labor to get the job done. I have a brother who is just that smart and capable. But that's not me.

So when the mention was made of "come up and we will tile the bathroom" - I thought: yikes. And decided I should be looking for a class in basic tile-laying. I knew that the big box outfits have historically offered DIY classes for amateurs to learn some basic skills, demonstrating things that the Average Joe can handily manage with with minmal expertise. So I was looking on line to see if there might be a 'tiling' class for the DIY-Impaired available locally. And found that Home Depot was offering a 'how-to' for beginners with no tile experience. And signed myself up, even though the date for the class is in September, and I know they are getting very weary of trooping down the hall to use the facilities. So: here I am, ready to get started on learning how to become a tile setter, and come to the place in the sign up process where they tell me what time I need to be there for the class. Only to find I have signed up to take the class in Knoxville, TN... when I was thinking it was offered right here, in Columbus, GA. Hmmm... how to extract myself from this????

Not all that likely I will make the commute from middle GA to north TN for the class in late September. Even though it would be a good skill to develop, so I'm thinking I better just google up 'how to tile' and hope for the best - if it looks bad, we can always start over, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment