Tuesday, July 9, 2013

supporting our troops....

I've been writing to a LT in Afghanistan for several months. She is supposed to be returning to the states later in July.  I'd sent the LT a couple of packages, and notes weekly (including the Sunday comics from the local paper), but quit when her dad told me not to send anything more.

Recently, I was trudging through old emails recently, deleting by the dozens, and found that address of the person in Savannah who started 'Support our Troops', aimed primarily at the Army folk being deployed from Ft. Stewart. It is a program where those being deployed can request letters/cards and surprises in the mail. Being the wordy person that I am, I thought I should look for another letter recipient. I wrote to ask if there might be someone in desperate need of correspondence. She sent me the name of a sargent stationed at a FOB in Afghanistan.


I could not get to the 'just-a-buck' fast enough to get some of the things he and his team had requested to put in the mail. Along with the Sunday comics. Amazing at the common, everyday ordinary things we just use and trash, stuff we never think about not having... plastic zipper bags, for instance. Remember back when they were such a novelty, you felt compelled to wash, dry and re-use? Now we just toss (or recycle) without a thought of scarcity. I think I included some gum, hard candy, packets to add to water bottles for flavor.

I will take the list of things they requested to my Wed. night community group and ask them to do a little ministry project - hoping they will all pitch in, especially if I am willing to do the packaging, and posting and paying. Even if you can't agree with what is going on over there, want to rant about the President, get ill when you think of the ineffectiveness of politicians/Congress - how can you not want to let them know that we are so so so very thankful for their willingness to go and do the hot, miserable dirty work, putting themselves in harms' way?

Are you thankful for the Constitution and living in America? Me too! Do you want his address so you can write him a note to tell him so?

No comments:

Post a Comment