Tuesday, July 30, 2013

making pocketas....

You remember that story we all had mostly memorized from reading it so many times ... not the Cat in the Hat! But the one about the little bear that wandered off in a department store and wanted a pocket? I was thinking of Corduroy when I was sitting at my sewing machine - making pockets.

Actually not pockets per se, but the beginnings of two dozen bean bags for some mystery project that is going on with the Education coordinator at church. This is a funny/not funny tale of... The Missing Bean Bags. She called me the end of last week, about something unrelated, and finally got around to saying:' I want to ask you something, and preface it with I won't be sad or feel bad if you say No. But I need some bean bags.' The reason she had her tail between her legs and came at me with this hang dog attitude is it probably the fourth time she has asked me to make bean bags... where they go, we will likely never know? Perhaps a bean-bag-black-hole? I've made them on a number of occasions in the past, for Fall Festival Bean Bag Toss, or other reasons she would need something relatively harmless to have the kids aim towards a target. And they keep mysteriously disappearing. (insert the spooky theme song from The Twilight Zone here...)

So I've been sitting at my machine, making more pockets to put beans in. One time, I did not have dry beans and used rice instead. Which explains how I found myself completely rice-less last week when I needed some for a new recipe I wanted to try. I have three sides sewn, and now find that I must go to the store for a bag 'o' beans for filling before I can sew up the fourth side and finish the project.

I'm thinking about sewing a very long string or piece of yard on each one and have the bags securely attached to an immovable object - just to see how long it takes before they ... vanish....into oblivion....

No comments:

Post a Comment