Sunday, July 28, 2013

Saturday morning, part 2

Had to go down/uptown early to get the weeding done, so I could get the Home Depot and learn all about Tile. Much more than I ever needed to know.

I remembered that the big box stores used to offer do-it-yourself classes to help people manage homeownership with minor repairs to decks or plumbing, or retaining wall projects. So I was hoping I would find some information about laying tile. Although the tile I am interested in will not actually 'lay'. I recruited my smart friend PC to go along - even though she is so knowledgeable about handy-man-ing, she could probably hang sheetrock in her sleep.

We met at the big box at 10:30 and got a wonderful lesson in tiling the shower stall. Rule number one is: start in the middle. (Trick number one is: go over to the paint dept. and ask for a bunch of paint stirrers that you place along the edge of the tub to keep the tile secure, evenly spaced along the bottom edge, and at the same height all across until the glue sets.) I know there are lots of videos out there and you can find Anything on the internet. No end to the 'how to's once you get started... I predict you could easily find yourself so distracted you would not actually get the project done.

Use non-sanded grout for the small cracks, and sanded grout for the big cracks. Which is another way of saying if you have a small crack, you do not want to get a lot of sand in it, as it will be very irritating. Take that any way you want....

There is a neat little gizmo that cuts the tile for you, and another clever little item to make the holes in the tile for the plumbing. No end also to the amount of money you can spend on 'do it yourself'ing. I'm as ready as I'm gonna get...

No comments:

Post a Comment