Monday, September 3, 2012

you should be worried about me...

Completely out of character, so much that you might want to check on my health, sanity, body temperature, over all condition. I have been at home all day. Not completely, entirely within the boundaries of the three acre lot, but definitely within walking distance: I did take myself down to the end of the street, waiting of course, until it got to be the middle of the day, as hot as it would get, before getting out to trek for about 2 1/2 miles. I'd mostly quit the daily walks, after finally, barely recovering from the hike up and down Mt. LeConte. But have seen the lbs. begin to creep up, so know I need to get back in the calorie burning frame of mind.

After my walk, I spent several hours out in the yard. Liberally applying insect repellant (the same stuff that did not work last Friday, when I soon discovered myself infested with a whole new crop of red bugs) before going out with my wheelbarrow to pick up more tree trash. I'd get so hot I thought I would explode like a fire-cracker, come in to drink copiously and cool off - then go back for more misery. I am making progress, as evidenced by the growing line of'beaver-lodge' like piles of tree limbs piled up out along the street, awaiting the city truck on Thursday.

Late this afternoon, I had gotten so hot and weary, I actually thought I had quit, and parked the barrow in the carport, believing I was done for the day. But after coming in, cooling off, went out and started up again. I was aware of thunder booming off in the distance - miles away, far to the west, and continued to pick up trash, haul it up to the street and return for more. Suddenly, as I was whacking some low limbs with my pruners, there was a huge boom of lightening that struck fearfully close - to the east, nearly in my back yard. I said a bad word, dropping the metal pruners and knew I was finished for the day. Undecided about even rolling the current load up to the street in my metal-forked barrow, really anxious about how close that last explosion of lightening had hit, far too close at hand. But wanted to get finished before the rains started.

After that strike that was freakishly close: I am definitely done for today. I can't remember the last time I was at home All Day Long, but have had no problem keeping myself occupied: did about eight loads of wash, over half of which was stuff for church. I'm all caught up on my laundry, the neighbors' laundry, total strangers' laundry. Like when kids were small and I would bathe, put to bed, then start in on wash, so everything would be clean - for a few hours before they woke up and started all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment