Monday, September 17, 2012

not home yet....

Where did I leave off...????

We left MB a day early, and drove six hours to Decatur, where I had about thirty seconds to bail out, get all my stuff, grab whatever I did not want to send to Columbus, before he left for home. He actually stopped long enough to 'do his business', before heading south, which gave me time to clean out all the assortment of flyers, coupon books, brochures, sundry 'attractions' maps and trash that had accumulated under my feet in four days of travel.

I'd tried to get him to want to meet his oldest daughter, who lives in the metro area and he rarely sees.  But he seemed to feel like getting back on the road and out of town before afternoon traffic became horrendous more important. I will add that the original plan was to meet for lunch of Friday, which fell through when we decided to leave SC a day early.

I'd planned to be in Chattanooga on Friday afternoon: but here it is Thursday, so what to do? Walk the dogs, of course!  Hang out, goof off, be shiftless, acting like it is Saturday....

More of the same on Friday am, and then off to TN in the afternoon. I got near the TN line, and veered off the interstate at  Ft. O., like I usually do, partly to avoid converging/diverging/confusing/intimidating   traffic, and partly because I have always favored the scenic route. Wildflowers blooming there along the right-of-way  the highway meanders through pastures at the base of Lookout Mtn. I  love the dark, rich, lush purple color of Joe Pye Weed, and the contrast with brilliant yellow golden rod along the fence rows.  Something white blooming out there tow - but unnamed, though I've concluded that weeds are just wildflowers growing in places no one wants or tend them.

On Friday night, we went up on Signal Mtn. to the Mountain Opry, where we enjoyed some serious bluegrass picking.   I had read about this event, that happens every weekend in what looks like an old school (in every sense of the word) from the 1950's. Lots of twanging, fiddle playing, bass-guitar thumping, banjo picking, and singing of songs that could easily be a hundred years old. We'd stopped for pizza before going to the 'picking 'n' grinning' so, in addition to be stuffed, were loaded with carbs, which caused some of us to think about taking a nap in the dark auditorium. I guess it was a pretty good crowd, and about two-thirds of the seats were filled - at least what I could see. The group that was playing when we snuck in (no admission cost, but they do pass the hat/bucket/plate/paper bag) mentioned that they had just had an anniversary celebrating thirty-three years of entertaining: both themselves and the audience.

Lots of aimless hanging out over the weekend, including a trip to Hobby Lobby (where I did not spend the first cent, scrupulously looking down at my shoes the whole time to not be tempted to want one of everything I saw), good Mex. lunch, trip to the store they thought was on my bucket list, but it's not. I had never even heard of the place before, but it was amazing. A huge collection of 'stuff', where I was not so fortunate to escape with my resources intact. I bought a couple of things I will give for Christmas, that must remain un-named here. And something for my yard that is, surprisingly, not a plant. I'm sure you've seen them everywhere: a long metal pole that bent on the end, for hanging yard decoration. It actually has  two big U-shaped two metal hooks that I can put out in my 'new' flower bed and put hanging baskets on. I  have a small plastic bird bath that I will hang on one side of the 'shepherds crook', and probably put a blooming plant in a pot on the other.

When we were wandering in the store, and strolling through the Garden area, that was mostly tired, thirsty, leggy, neglected annuals, I noticed this: the 'shepherd's crook'  that had only one hook, priced at $12.99, then another that had hooks on each side, oddly priced at: $12.99. I said to myself, several times: 'why would you buy this one that only has one hook, when you could get the other with two for the same price?' Then tucked that thought away in my brain, and continued to wander/plunder. When we had looked until our eyeballs were weary, and ready to go, I went back to get the crook device, and mosey on to the checkout. The cashier rang up my several items, and my family hurried me out of the store - were they expecting me to make a scene? How could that be?

As I look at my receipt, I discover I have been overcharged for my crook, and went back to the cashier, who assures me that $14.99 IS the correct price. And I assure her that both of the items, the one hook, and two hook variety are both priced at $12.99. After much discussion, my making another trip to look at both signs to assure myself, she calls a supervisor, who assures me the larger one is actually priced at $14.99. I tell him  about the signs I have just re-inspected, and he and I go out to look at the signs: Again. He has to agree with me, and tells the cashier to issue me a refund. But is too sorry to go out and take down the wrong price, and calls on his walkie-talkie to have a peon/worker go remove it.

Now I am wishing I had bought six of the really nice (and temporarily discounted) double-hooked items to give to all the people I know who would enjoy both having some way to hang baskets of plants, and hear this long convoluted tale of how it came into their possession. Along with all those other amazing bargains I found that would have completely completed all my gift-giving needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment