Saturday, September 29, 2012

the giant (not)chocolate chip cookie...

Some of you will remember having a giant chocolate chip cookie, prepared by loving hands, on a pizza pan, delivered on Jan. 21 or Oct. 9 to the lunchroom. Timed so that it appeared just as you were going to sit and eat with friends, who would say: ' Is it your birthday?' and "will you be my BFF just for today, since you have something good to eat?' Sliced into wedges, just like a pizza, but with candles and matches that would require all the cohort to sing the Birthday Song before they could enjoy the goodies.

I made one of those yesterday. But since there were no choc. chips in the house, it had a cup full of chopped up pecans instead: suits me, as I am definitely not the choc. chip cookie lover in the family. Never would be too soon for me! I was going to a pot-luck dinner last night and prepared a casserole to take (most of which came back home, so I will be eating left overs all next week), and was going to a meeting this morning as well. I figured since I was heating the oven to bake the pot-luck dish, I might as well go ahead and make something good/bad for you, to take to the event today.

Sad to say, I was a sluggard this morning, staying in bed so long, I was late for the 8:30 start, so most of my big cookie came home with me as well. TI guess everyone else there was on time, or early, and certainly brought sweets/snacks with them: there were  probably a dozen boxes of dozens of Krispy Kremes out on the table. This monster cookie is really good with all the extra nuts and no choc., but I am constantly/daily turning over a new leaf, so I plan to take 3/4 cookie (big as a sixteen inch pizza) to church and get all the Methodists to eat it for me. I am sure they will be willing to step up and help out: something for nothing is always too good to ignore. Plus I am certain that no one here needs to be eating it, and want to get it out of sight before the temptation gets too great.

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (makes one as good as the high priced things you buy in the mall!)

1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup. cooking oil
2 Tbs. water or milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 to 1 cup. semi-sweet choc. chips
 chopped nuts if you want (I put in 1/2 to 1 cup)

Combine oil, water, eggs, mix well. Add cake mix, stir well. Add chips and nuts. Spread with fingers (moistened with water) onto greased pizza pan. Bake 350 for 20-25 min. till lightly browned. Slice into wedges like you would a pizza. Try not to eat too much. As I said, not being a lover of choc. chip cookies, I like it better with just nuts and no chips, but as you can imagine - if you do that, you cannot call it a Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie, so you have to think of another name...

No comments:

Post a Comment