Tuesday, September 11, 2012

traveling to SC, part 1


I left home on Monday morning at 5:00 a.m., to drive to Decatur. Paul was supposed to leave Columbus around 8'ish and meet me there at 10:00, we would leave for South Carolina. What did I expect from a guy who gets to church at 8:15, knowing the service starts at 9:00? I should have known he would arrive at 8:45, ready to go. We had just been on a long looping walk with three ADD dogs, through the neighborhood around Eleanor St., and were heading back to the house, when he pulled up behind us.

I had made a great plan to meet the semi-in-laws in Myrtle Beach and spend several days, sightseeing, going to show and being generally entertained by amusing Irwins. But even though they actually made the motel reservations, it turned out they could not attend. And cancelled out over the weekend, when work/duty call came in to go to LA mid-week. It was my intention to go regardless, so their change of plans only slightly altered mine. We had agreed that I would leave with them on Friday, and go back to TN, as this is my weekend to visit with P and C (and G and W). Therefore I drove myself to Decatur to leave my Toyo, so I can take myself to TN, and then back home on Monday.
We got here about 4'ish, after leaving Decatur at 10, and a stop for lunch.The Mapquest info. indicated it was a 6 hour drive from ATL: and yes, it is that long from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach.So would be about 8 hours from Columbus, meaning it took mostly, nearly all day to get here, esp. when you consider I got up at 4:30.
The last time I went any distance with my traveling companion, I had doubts we would both safely return to Lynch Rd. I suspect one of the passengers on that trip back in August was seriously considering mayhem, and there were times when I had dark thoughts myself. Here's the thing: why would you ask for advice and not take it? Why would you ask Mapquest to find the best route and then disregard the info. you printed out? Why would you call Onstar to ask for the shortest,quickest path to get from A to B and then go a different way? Why would you ask the passenger to look and the map and provide directions that you don't take? Hmmm....

 No problem with check-in, though I find the 'quality' part of Quality Inn debatable. We are on the sixth floor, and yes it does have a 'beach view', but you have to look between the high-rise motels/condos that are between the QI and ocean, kinda lean over on the balcony and squint... but you do get a view of the sparkling water. There are lots of boardwalks with public access (and parking meters) for getting on to the sand, and I will put on my little flip flops and walk the beach at some point, since I don't think I even got sand between my toes the last time I was near salt water.

 After eating the complimentary breakfast we walked a bit down the sidewalks along Ocean Blvd. He lost interest, and rode in his little power chair/went back to QI  take a nap. I told him if he went to sleep, he would think when he woke up it was time for breakfast again.


 I found a really neat little boardwalk that goes right through the middle of a big gaudy amusement park, and walked along an estuary for a short distance before returning to the QI. That little board walk apparently protects drainage that goes into the ocean; I could see the tide going out, little schools of minnows in the tannin colored water, waving bright green marsh grass along the edges. A wee bit of the natural world right there sandwiched between the go-kart track and merry-go-round.

We went to a show last night. I thought it was really good, but we don't get out much, and are pretty easily entertained. Mostly country music, some comedy,girls in short dressed or tight jeans dancing (how come they never make the guys wear short dresses and skin-tight pants?), and a group of four young men with amazingly fast feet. The Carolina 'Opry - I was so entertained I could probably go back again tonight and see the same thing over again! Kinda sad to know it is so easy to amuse me...

I know there are other shows, and think we should look, ask to see if anything might have a matinee - but suspect that everything really drops off after Labor Day, when tourist season is over. I've looked at brochures, fliers and see a show that has fakes. Imitators of everyone from Elvis to Little Richard to Michael Jackson. Maybe we will try that... Or go on the sunset cruise?



No comments:

Post a Comment