Sunday, September 9, 2012

battlling pseudo-kudzu

For many years I have been trying to warn people that they really don't want to plant English ivy vines and have it growing out in their yards, without supervision. There was a time, many years ago, when, in my blissful ignorance, thought I wanted to have it at my house: not recently though, as I periodically get out with my industrial strength weed-killer and spray as much as I can, hoping to eventually eliminate the evil beast. It is a long process: ivy killing, as there is much leaf mulch that has accumulated out in the 'natural' areas, with lots of deciduous trees that contribute on a regular basis, some all year long, constantly shedding, adding to the recycling effects of nature.

In recent weeks, I have devoted a little time to getting out in the yard, picking up tree trash, limbs that have fallen and been accumulating for months. Plus the detritus from the yard guys who did a less than half-hearted job of cleaning up after they did some major bushwhacking early in the summer. I was delighted to have them come and clear cut azaleas that had gotten completely out-of-hand due to twenty-five years of benign neglect. And probably  know that one should not seriously expect men to do a good 'clean-up' job, even when they are getting paid for it! So the trash removal is an ongoing project, with the necessity re-occurring every time we have a storm with heavy winds that blows more limbs down.

It's time to try to get back out there and spray the ivy again, before the weather cools and it is not actively growing. I had help cutting back the vines that had inched up in the trees and were taking over (thank you C.) so it does not look so overwhelming. Some of the wandering, invasive vines had gotten so high up in the trees, the tree tops would appear to be evergreens, full of leafy branches all year-round, though they were oaks and sweet gums that drop all their leaves in the fall. I have some weedkiller that is only available for agricultural use, that I purchased at a farm supply business. Much more potent than the mild-mannered stuff sold for homeowner use: it is a concentrate that can be mixed to the proportions that would be most effective, depending on the nuisance value of what you intend to eliminate.

When I encounter someone who talks about how much they just 'love' ivy, with the long twining tendrils, think it is ever-so-pretty, I tell them to keep it in the pot. Warning they should keep it trimmed, don't let it get a toe hold, even though it is super-easy to root from cuttings: never plant it out in the yard where it can grow into a monster.. And occasionally tell them that I believe it turns into kudzu when no one is looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment