Monday, September 17, 2012

the washer is running....

It took nearly as long to get back from the coast of South Carolina which was only about eight hours away as it did to get back from central America in July. You'd think I'd misplaced my map-reading skills, or fell in the swamp (though I doubt they have any that can compete with the ones found near the GA-FL line where even Jimmy Hoffa could vanish forever. Maybe that's what happened?

Detoured to TN, as if driving all over two states wasn't enough. Back to Decatur on Sunday afternoon, and visit with cousins. Spending another night in Atl., and lots of time walking on Mon., before heading out for middle GA in the afternoon. I had to get back to be at the Hospice on Moon Road, for a volunteer training. After discovering months ago that the Columbus Hospice program here is one of two in the nation that provides patients with pet assistance, I thought: 'I can do that!'

I called and talked to the volunteer coordinator, and said I wanted to be a volunteer, and need to get signed up. Easier said than done. A long tedious process: get the application, fill it out, return, get the fingerprints for a background check, get the TB test, return to have the injection site checked in 48 hours, do more paperwork. I'm trained as a volunteer, and await the call that will tell me when to come for more training to be instructed on the proper procedure for inserting pets in carriers to safely transport. The funding for this comes from a grant, and covers taking pets to vet. for immunizations, health checks, emergency visits, as well as to be groomed, and food. Volunteers with the program could transport pets for any of this, or make a run to the store for pet care products as needed. That would be me - but I suspect there are plenty of other people who think 'I can do that!', so I don't know if there is really all that much demand for someone with my particular desire/training.

I discovered at the training tonight that one of the requirements for the Hospice program to accept and be reimbursed for Medicare patients is that at least 5% of their care is provided by volunteers rather than trained staff. I do wonder about that, but don't have the answer as to why this is so...



No comments:

Post a Comment