Saturday, September 22, 2012

is there such a thing as a 'compulsive traveler'?

I think that some animal that continually migrates from one place to another, in a season manner, as do many birds, and some mammals that travel in search of food/water may qualify as compulsive - when family groups require such quantities of forage or in times of drought that they are continually on the move in an effort to constantly replenish basic necessities for survival. And doubt that modern humans here in this supposed advanced society qualify for that level of neediness.

As you might guess I have been traveling again: went to Decatur on Thursday afternoon, so I could jump on the interstate and motor to South Carolina on Friday for the day. Expecting to get up early, and beat the commuters out of town to go to Greenville and visit my penpal, then return to Decatur in the evening, after an enjoyable visit in SC.But I spent several hours on Friday morning in negotiations for a new window to replace the one that had got busted out by a vandalizing jerk at 4:00 am.

Sorta ironic, that before I went to bed that night, I thought to myself: 'you should have moved your car off the street and parked it in the driveway up closer to the house'. But then I said 'what could possibly happen??' and went on to sleep, obviously oblivious to the foolishness of that decision. A neighbor called about 4:15, saying his dog woke him, barking, and when he got up, looked out, there was a car parked in the street with lights on. When he went out, he discovered my window broken, out and called the police. Then called us. By the time we got decent enough to walk out the door, the police had responded, and there was a black and white parked out on the street, right behind my Toyota.

Sorta Ironic: that I was lying there in bed, awake, thinking: I should have moved my car. Seriously ironic, that there was nothing of value in it, which the criminal/addled jerk soon found out. Had I left it unlocked, it is possible the window would not have been shattered. Nothing was missing - mostly because I did not have anything worth stealing. The cop said he was probably looking/hoping for a GPS tucked away in the glove box. And I wonder if that was because the charging cord for the phone is always plugged into the lighter...

It is resolved, though I am $50 wiser: the deductible I had to pay to get the window replaced while I was in SC. There was considerable riga-ma-role involved in getting a new glass installed, but it occurred, so I did not drive back from Greenville with lots of  fresh air, as I did when I made the trip east. And I gauran-damn-tee I will not leave my car parked on Eleanor St. overnight again.

They later found more damage, to other cars, likely from the same piss-ant. I understand that same low-life/scumbag probably out broke windows on two other vehicles, parked out on the street, at same time. Even though it was a major aggravation to get the window replaced, I sincerely hope all his criminal behavior was no more successful that what he found in my little air-ish Toyota.

No comments:

Post a Comment