Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I can't blame anyone else, but wishing I could...

I reluctantly take full responsibility for a disastrous day. It was so unproductive, I may deliberately eat chocolate, to make me stay up longer/late enough to feel like I have gotten something, anything accomplished.

It probably started on Monday, when I got a call asking me if I would do a kindness for a stranger. The church receptionist had received a call (or maybe be an email? )from someone who was in need of transport to pick up some groceries at a food bank. Sounded a bit 'sketchy' to me, so I told her I would help, but wanted to call from my home phone, rather than let the woman in need get my cell number. So I called when I got home last night, and made plans to pick up 'Ms. Britton' this  morning between 10:30 and 11:00 to get her to the Outreach program. Later, when I realized I had an appt. at 10:15,  I called Ms. Britton back and told her I needed to come earlier, to be able to keep the doctor's appointment I had on my calendar for weeks.

When I told her I was going to brush my teeth, leave home and be there in 20 or so minutes, I really thought it would happen. But it was an hour later before I finally found her. All my fault - a comedy of errors if it had happened to someone else. But so aggravating I am still recovering from the frustrating morning. Plenty of 'arrrggghhhh' to go around....

I started out at a disadvantage, but did not realize this until I got close to my goal: I failed to pick up driving directions I had written down when I talked to Ms. Britton last night... so I actually did not know where to find her, and only due to persistence and a truck-load of Luck did it happen. Plus I had zero gas, and stopped to buy $10 worth that should have been plentygood for several days... but wasn't. About the time I pulled into the pumps, I realized I did not have the note with her directions and phone number so I could not call to ask her again how to get to the apt. complex. Outsmarting myself  being so careful to not call from my cell. A little thump on the head from God, as my payment for doubt.

I thought I remembered she said South Lumpkin Road, so I did that, and proceed to look for an apt. complex that has 'river' in the name. There were NO apartments on South Lumpkin, so I thought... hmmm... maybe it was 'North' instead? Stopped at a curb store to ask, and found that there were several big complexes on the North end, so I went up there (meter running/clock ticking this whole time - for the taxi driver who said she would be there in twenty minutes - and now it's been at least thirty.) Found three different areas with apartments, none of which had 'river' in the name, none of which had buildings that were alphabetic rather than numeric... so I know I am not in the right place, as Ms. Britton told me B-1.

Stopped at one of the offices for apts., and asked to use the phone book, to call the Outreach people in hopes that they had her number and I could call to get more info. But all they had was her name. So tried the church and did get her number, but since Ms. Britton was sitting outside waiting for me, she was not inside to hear the phone ringing when I tried to call (from my cell phone - remember me Not wanting to do that?). But the worker at the office at the wrong apts. did know of a place that had 'river' in the name, and sent me back to South Lumpkin. Where I found Ms. Britton (who persisted in calling me Fran, and never offered her first name) waiting on a stool outside her door.

I don't know precisely why I felt the need to apologize for being an hour late - as I was the one who was doing her a great favor. Plus I drove right past the Outreach program an hour ago, on Macon Rd., long before I drove around by both elbows trying to find the place with 'river' in the apartment name.So I could have 'delivered the goods' on my first trip and been Done with All That.

But you can see by all the crazy driving to-and-fro trying to find the 'river' place that I am going to be so, so, so very late for my own appt. right?  "If I only had a brain", I would have thought to tell Ms. Britton I would leave her to tend to her business, and come back to pick her up when I got finished with mine. Frantic Is Not Conducive To Clear Thinking. (This would make a good bumper sticker). So we get to the Outreach center, after circling the block several times trying to figure out where/how to get there. And I ask for the use of another phone book to call, and explain that my life has suddenly gotten overwhelmingly complicated; I cannot get to my appt. and need to reschedule. Arggghhh. The whole reason I left home so early was to get Ms. Britton squared away and allow me to get to the appt. I had made weeks ago. Which is now next week.

It all eventually resolved itself: Ms. Britton got home with her donated groceries. But I have not had a 'Monday' like that occur on a Tuesday in so long, it makes me want to say 'arrrggghhh' again.

I used up the $10 worth of gas trying to locate my good deed, get her groceries, and deliver her and food back home, so have already had to buy more gas. At $3.64/gal. Arggghhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment