Sunday, September 23, 2012

thinking about my dad...

You have all read those interviews with notables who are asked the question: if you could go back in history and meet one individual, who would that be? I had never considered this, and have not given it any thought, so don't know of anyone that I would particularly want to meet/visit/talk with.

After one of the daughters came today to visit Paul on his birthday, got to church and lunch with him, I started thinking about my dad. And how I wish I could have one more day to spend with him. And began to ponder what how I would want to spend that time. At firs consideration, I thought that we could just go out in the back yard and sit on the bench and talk about all manner of trivial, inconsequential stuff, drink a glass or two of iced tea, sitting in the shade, and spend the day doing nothing.

Then I realized there are so many things I would like to know about his life I would have such a long list of questions, we would never get it all said. I know so little about his parents, grandparents, growing up years, the experience he had when he was in the Army in France and Austria at the close of WW II. How he felt about his life, what he really liked, or didn't and what he would change if he had the chance. I never thought to ask him about his military experience, and wonder if he would even be willing to talk about it, tell what it was like, or just needed to leave it in the past.

But as I take the time to think about what I would want to do if I had that one more day, I think that I would just rather follow him around the yard, in his workshop, in the house as he was puttering/tinkering around. Just enjoy being in his company, doing all the things he would do to keep himself busy when he was strong, healthy, full of energy and always looking for something that needed to be 'fixed'.

Wondering who you would spend the day with if you could?

No comments:

Post a Comment