Sunday, September 9, 2012

pseudo kudzu: the real deal...

I went to FL on Thurs.,and on to spend the night in south GA on Thurs night. I'd packed up my yard working equipment before leaving home, prepared to whack as necessary, but really expecting that I would do some weed spraying. Never knowing that the vine-ing things had gotten completely out of control. After a dry summer in the early months, there has recently been so much rain that all this sudden growth spurt would not be out of place in the rain forest of central America or along the Amazon.

After paying someone to cut lots of overgrown azaleas down to a nub, and paint the stumps to keep them from coming back - foolish me, I thought I had solved the problem. But not only have the azaleas put on lush growth in an effort to recover, all the little seeds that would not germinate in their dense shade have taken off, covering everything: weeds, stumps, pine straw mulch, all competing to try to see which can get the tallest quickest. So there was lots of stuff to spray with the weedkiller: coral vine, morning glory vine, smilax (who am I trying to kid - a forest fire would not kill that stuff!), weeds galore...

Spent the morning spraying, and pulling up crab-grass (another futile occupation!), piling up trash. And went to the cemetery to spray around the people I know and miss who are there. The city does a pretty good job of keeping it mowed and neat, but grass is always creeping up over the edges of the slabs, and inching around the monuments. So that got a good dose of weed killer as well.

Did a little visiting in Q., and V. and started back towards middle GA. I knew I was 'invited' to be at work the next two days, so though I had thought to spend another night in south GA., I decided to come on back on Friday night. Got back to Lynch Rd., just in time to fall into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment