Wednesday, September 26, 2012

still cleaning like a crazy person...

I am still sweeping, scrubbing, moping, a-running the vacuum (all of which I determinedly detest) in addition to the dusting I have not started. Admittedly, I took a complete break from the chores of cleaniness on Tuesday, after working half day, and running some errands on my tired feet, I was so very not in the mood or energy condition to do any more labor. Also went to Walmart, and discovered when I was walking across the parking lot that my list was not in my pocket.... arggghhh. That's what we make lists for - so we won't have to store that stuff in our heads. So naturally, I found the dang list as soon as I got home, and could only mark off about one-third of the things that I meant to get.

The auntie who is coming to visit today (which brought about this burst of  forced, belated house-keeping has had a medical problem that might prevent her from driving. I had something similar several years ago, so 'yes, I actually can understand/sympathize'. Though she seems to usually  be struggling with something that no one else has experienced quite like her numerous issues - this is one I clearly remember as being very frightening: Vertigo.

It was four or five years ago, and I woke up one morning, nearly fell in the floor when I got out of bed in the wee hours to go to the bathroom. I was mystified, but got back into bed, and slept for several more hours. When I awoke, I could not walk without reaching our for support, propping up on door frames and walls. Really frightening. I got dressed, we went to the ER and I was quickly diagnosed. (That in itself is something Very Unusual if you have ever been to the ER and waited for hours and hours and eons for help - which you were truly desperate for or would have not toddled into the 'emergency' entrance in the beginning.) I don't recall what sort of medication I was given, remember a poke in the hip - could have easily been something like benadryl. But I got back home and slept it off, and was, as best I recall, cured.

It was really scarey for me, and I was not alone.

 I cannot imagine how terror inducing it would be when you can't walk or think straight, and you know you will have to resolve the problem. You know how we Never want to call attention to ourselves, and probably a worst case scenario would be calling 911 to have EMS come roaring up to your front door: being the center of loud, unwanted attention. So we are all most reluctant to make the call- no matter how serious the problem... but if you are by yourself, the 'alone-ness factor' would make it all the more difficult to not be anxious, fearful, feel like you are coming Un-done. Already frightened by what's going on, and the prospect of dealing with a gazillion questions while not at all well, would be overwhelming.

After the odd event, several years ago, I was relating my experience to someone, who said she had severe inner-ear/balance problems one time, and when Rx meds. did not help, the doctor told her she should go to the fair and get on one of those rides that spins you around and generally makes you want to urp. But she was desperate, the carnival was in town, and she got on the scrambler-type ride: it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment