Thursday, December 31, 2015

volunteer driving...

.... to take someone I do not know to an appointment at the Cancer treatment center here. The patient is supposed to be at the center at 10 a.m., so I will plan on getting him there in ample time this morning. I've been doing this for several months, providing transportation to people who have to be at the Amos Cancer Center for treatment. Took a little 'training' course with the American Cancer Society, called something like Reach to Recovery, where potential drivers were provided guidance, advice, instructions as how we can assist patients in getting to treatment appointments.

With a random work schedule I cannot commit much in advance when I get frequent notices by email. There is a group of volunteer workers who send out the notices as appointments are made for different patients who need help with transport. So when I get the notices, more often than not, I have to delete, knowing that some other volunteer driver will come forward and take the opportunity.

I think I must have committed to this little project the middle of last week, when I knew I would not be going in to work until three o'clock today. I'm thinking I remember that he does not need a return ride to get home afterward, so when I get him downtown at ten, I am free to go about my merry way. If you ever run out of something to be thankful for: consider your health. I do, and even with a few creaks and aches, am daily thankful for the ability to get up and get going. Maybe a bit slower lately, but still on the go.

No comments:

Post a Comment