Thursday, December 10, 2015

right after being closed...

...on Thanksgiving day, when everyone who works at the grocery chain had the same day as one of their two 'days off' for the week, everything that is freshly made several times each week went out of date, and had to be trashed on Friday. I was the only person working in the prep. area of produce department and industriously going about my job, replacing all the things that were out of date due to the store being closed for one day. Making fresh salads and fresh fruit/yogurt parfaits to fill in the holes as we removed the old stuff.

My boss, the produce manager, amusing 'J.' came in and asked (what I can only assume to be a rhetorical question): "where's M.?" He put her on the schedule for the day after Thanksgiving, expecting her to show up at work - while the rest of us knew she was leaving town for the weekend. I know he wanders around a lot muttering to himself, saying stuff under his breath that we probably don't want to hear. So I didn't even respond.

He asked it again: 'where is M?' My response was: "I don't brush M's teeth". He looked at me like he was hearing a foreign language. And said 'what?' I told him I don't put her to bed or get her up each morning, and I am not responsible for seeing that she gets her teeth brushed every night. Meaning I have no idea where she is and do not have any reason to think she would be reporting her whereabouts to me.

As I said: I am assuming he was talking just to hear himself. He is constantly talking to himself, mumbling things no one else can understand. So we just have to work under the assumption if he wants us to get anything done, he will make more effort keep us informed. And then he came in today when I was busily making salads and asked for someone else, a person he had not even put on the schedule. So guess what? I said: 'I don't brush her teeth either!'

No comments:

Post a Comment