Wednesday, December 16, 2015

complete strangers and passers-by...

... as well as coworkers and acquaintances have also been asking if I have finished with decorating for the holidays. Not only have I not finished, I have yet to start. Though I  have been thinking for a couple of weeks, since right after Thanksgiving, about the little green wreath with twinkle lights that usually hangs by the front door. There is a outside light right there, near the front door, that I can remove the bulb and twist in a receptacle for plugging in the lights on the wreath. That, for the past several years, has been the extent of my seasonal decorations.

I will admit to an occasional urge, when I see strings of little clear lights to wanting to buy. I would put them on a bare tree out in the yard, and run the bright orange extension cord from the carport to light up the woods. Fortunately I have been able to control myself, and have yet to make the purchase. Thinking if I can resist temptation long enough, a) the lights will be on half price sale after the holiday, or b) it will be after the holiday and I will be able to rationalize and say: no need.

A coworker asked me right after Thanksgiving if she made me a wreath would I hang it on my door, and I said 'no thanks', explaining there is no where to put it. The space between the metal door (new one, replacing the one that got kicked in by the burgling two years ago) and the storm door is about three inches. Not enough to put a wreath and still have to storm door close to keep it from banging in the wind. So there is a slight, small, constantly decreasing possibility that I will actually go out and get the lighted wreath hung in the next week... but with each additional day I get up and go to work, spending hours on my feet, the likelihood of any decorating at all gets less and less.

No comments:

Post a Comment