Tuesday, December 29, 2015

an itch that needed scratching...

... is the way to describe my interest in the Chattahoochee River at flood stage. It is still very high, many feets above what is considered normal. And if we should get more rain, it will continue to expand out of the banks. I read someplace recently that six inches is enough to knock you off your feet, and twelve inches can move a vehicle. When it is flooding and out of control, gushing in places it does not normally run, it can be Very Dangerous. Heard on the news about someone who was 'missing', and finally discovered in a vehicle, underwater.

I was just curious, interested, possibly to the point of being the sort of person who has to slow down and gawk at a train wreck or any man-made disaster that does not include me. I wanted to see it again, even though we had sort of glanced at it when we got back from TN on Friday afternoon. It's such an unusual out-of-the-ordinary happening, it was worth a trip to drive down south of town to get another look.

I thought we were going to a state park down below Ft. Benning, but did not get that far south, turning off at a sign that directed us to 'River Bend Park'.  And found a boat ramp, some picnic tables and composting toilets. That is the extent of the park, possibly vaguely maintained by the Corp of Engineers or the local county government. Posted signs instructed:  No swimming, or parking off the pavement. There are, I am pretty sure, alligators in the water, hanging around in the sloughs, waiting for whatever might be thrown out by people taking fishing boats out of the water. Before we started the return trip, there were several other vehicles, people we passed as we started out for home. Making me think I was not the only one with an itch in need of scratching - other people who were just curious, and wanted to see how much that much water looks like. It looks like A Lot.

We saw lots of low-lying areas with standing water, as well as running water headed towards the river, and Gulf. But not sure how high above normal the water level is, though there was A Lot. I'm pretty sure I will not run out of things to be thankful for, but today I am thankful for a warm dry place to sleep. And the bright sunshine I enjoyed this afternoon, following days and days of drenching rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment