Sunday, December 27, 2015

the wash out is a wash out...

...ha, ha, ha. I have been getting up in the dark and going to work for the past two days, taking the route that goes around both elbows. And pretty anxious about leaving plenty early to get to work on time, so allowing more than enough extra. Then finding myself 'way too early, and unwilling to stand around twiddling my thumbs will waiting.

It normally takes about ten minutes, depending on traffic and if I might accidently catch all the traffic lights between here and there green. It does happen occasionally: all green, just often enough for me to think it remarkable when it happens, but not frequently enough for feeling like it is routine. Hitting a series of consistently green lights is quite a novelty - they are not sequenced here, so the idea of not having to stop is a really big deal. No way to predict.

When I started home today, I thought: I'll just take a chance. Surprise! Not only is the road no longer MIA, it is passable. There is still a Lot of Water. So much that the golf course is closed, as the cart paths are still swamped. I am guessing it might be clear tomorrow, with the standing water gradually draining off into the watershed lakes, and on down into the Chattahoochee for the golfing addicts to get their fix.

It really was not all that surprising to find that the asphalt was still intact. When my curiosity got the best of me and I went to look on Saturday afternoon I surmised the road was still there. The goofballs who have been working on that drainage area for weeks had some big orange barrels set along the edge of the street, providing an extra measure of caution/warning for people (me!) who drive too fast along there. And noticing the plastic barrels still in place when I got nosy on Saturday, lead me to believe the right of way and street would eventually surface as the water recedes.

So - the warning from the CPD telling us that our street washed away was bogus. Thankfully so, as the detour to get to work added about five miles onto my route. Not really problematic just yet, but if it had realty disappeared, it would be a huge mess when schools start back on Jan. 4. There are two in the neighborhood, that would create a major snarl with only one way in and out had the street really gone down to the Gulf of Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment