Tuesday, December 15, 2015

this reminds me...

... of the punch line to a really bad joke, in the poorest taste imaginable. But funny in an unfunny way. Which is, I guess, a way to describe 'irony'? The punch line is: 'Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?' So you can imagine for yourself the 'set up', leading up to the heretofore mentioned ending?

I am dressed and ready, having had my toasted bagel with jam, ready to walk out the door. Going downtown in the early morning commuter/carpool madness to be at the Rivercenter for a children's/school performance of the play "Fancy Nancy". The person who rides herd on the volunteer ushers (most of whom, I assume, are just in in for the ability to get in free) decided we must all 'participate' ten times during the course of a- year. Just arbitrarily instituted a new rule. No one knows how willing she is to enforce. But my thinking is: when you are dealing with volunteers, you need to show more-than-average consideration for your work force.

Most of the shows, concerts, plays, events I have been to as a volunteer were of the 'take it or leave it' variety. Allowing this particular venue to drop off my list of 'donating time' would not be a cause for grief. But there have been a few I have enjoyed, really wanted to see, but not badly enough to pay fifty bucks for a ticket. So... like everything else in life - it becomes a balancing act, with ongoing decisions of 'worth it?' or not. Thus far, it is apparently worth sitting through some lame, cheezy, goofy, mediocre performances in order to get to the ones that I really do want to see, while keeping the price of admission in my pocket.

And then I have to go to work: 12:00 till 6:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment