Thursday, December 10, 2015

another tutoring job...

...is in the works for January. Ready for 2016? I'm already putting stuff down on  my new calendar!

I went to a church out in Ellerslie. A little town that is not much more than a curbstore, post office and huge Baptist church building. They have a preschool/daycare that operates out of their education wing. Which really pleases me - to see a church building busy and productive all week long, instead of sitting there empty six days of the week.

An email about a need for tutors came a couple of weeks ago, from the person who runs the Literacy Alliance tutoring in the elementary schools. The church group had contacted her to ask if  she would put the word out in hopes of recruiting more volunteers to give a couple of hours one afternoon each week. Working one on one with the after school students to help with homework, reading skills, playing games that broaden their knowledge. Stuff like puzzles, maps, math flash cards.

I meant to get out there last week, but spent my day with the cookie bakers instead, helping to get the Botanical Gardens ready for Open House. But went to talk to the retired teacher who is running the tutoring program. And will sign myself up to go on Thursday afternoons starting in late January. I told her she should not even say my name in the same sentence with the word 'math', as that is most definitely not one of my 'gifts'. But I love to read, and would gladly help little people with their reading skills or homework as long as it does not require arithmetic proficiency.

No comments:

Post a Comment