Friday, December 4, 2015

accidently being far more helpful....

... than I had expected.  By devoting much more of my day to the Botanical Gardens that I thought would happen. But it's all good. I'd been thinking about how I have gotten 'un-involved' and sort of disconnected with some of those people and wanting to get back into helping with projects there. So it was time well spent, helping to do the prep work for the Open House. It apparently is not only an opportunity to 'show off', but a fund raiser of sorts, with seasonal goods for sale.

In addition to being another set of hands to roll a great variety of cookies into little balls, and placing on the baking sheets before cooking, I was the runner. I made two trips to Hobby Lobby and one to the grocery. They stalled out at one point in the mixing when necessary items were needed, so I volunteered to make a trip to the nearest supplier. The folks in charge of all the organizing (and there was a Lot of Organizing going on) failed to bring a couple of important ingredients for various recipes. Needed cream of tarter and powdered cocoa to complete prep. before the many sets of hands could roll the dough into little balls for baking.

I'd mistakenly assumed the cookie project consisted of supplying 'homemade' goods to share with all the visitors expected at the Open House Event on Sunday afternoon. But no. They literally baked thousands of cookies to fill a multitude of tins, to have 'homemade' for sale to the general public. I've been with kids on a field trip to the commercial bakery (Keebler, now Nabisco, as well as the company that used to be Tom's and bought out by Lance) here in town, and seen cookies mass produced. But short of machinery and room sized ovens, I've never seen so many varieties and hundreds of cookies.

Then a trip to Hobby Lobby to get clear cellophane goodie bags to put individual cookies in: cute little snowmen to sell as singles. What mom could possibly refuse a child begging for a snowman cookie loaded with sugar and a marshmallow on top? And remarkably sticky to boot. Plus some of that gel icing that never dries to stain fingers, teeth, face, clothing. Oh, what fun!

Then another run to Hobby Lobby for wee electric votive tea lights to go in the paper bag luminaries on Sunday. In the past there have been dozens of odd/recycled jars hanging in several bare trees with the little lights in them: glowing in the gloom, bidding the passersby welcome. But this year: white paper bags lining the walkway with flickering lights to guide their feet along the path.

I did not intend to spend my day there, but pretty much did. And going back today to help with workshop for people who want to make fresh greenery wreaths. I will be practicing my bow making skills. Something I have often said I would do for free, I just like tying bows - so free it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment