Thursday, January 10, 2019

part-time part-timer...

... as a result of having my work hours dramatically cut back since the first of the year. I knew it was coming, but still, not relishing the idea of a see-through paycheck, so thin it is nearly transparent.  The end of the year was fairly good, due to several people feeling an urgency to squeeze in the last few days of vacation. Years ago, during that narrow window when there was an actual 'vacation with pay' in my life, it was truly a novelty. I was so enamored with the idea of someone paying me to not work, I would have been perfectly content with just having that 'thought' to hold on to, without actually getting that week of pay while not clocking in.

Several weeks ago, before the New Year, a couple of coworkers had not used up all their allocated time and it was getting dangerously close to year end. At one time you could/would be paid for unused vacation days, so if you would rather have funds than fun, you could work and be paid to not go away. That does not exist now. These co-workers requested the time after Christmas to 'spend' the last of allotted vacation days, giving me a bit more work which resulted in a fatter payday. That is over now, and my working hours and paycheck have gotten ridiculously sparse. I know the temporary time of famine will end with a bang in early February when the season of 'Nelly-bar-the-door' happens in the days prior to Feb. 14, Valentine's Day.

When I started with the company over twenty years ago, all I wanted was a little income, working a couple of days a week to put a little jingle in my pocket - something I did not have to ask for, or be accountable for how it was spent. Still have the time to do things with family, be flexible to attend school events, while feeling like the paycheck was mine alone, without strings. I am sure most of what was earned went towards meeting the needs and wants of two teenagers, but even so it was gratifying to paying my own way, out of my own funds.

The trouble with part-time is there is little to be had in the way of benefits. Even though the company has a good reputation, winning awards for being employee friendly as well as superb customer service, unless you work enough hours to qualify for those perks they offer workers after a trial period, there is not much to be had for people who never advance into the ranks of those forty-hour-a-week people.  Benefits scarce as hen's teeth.

My goal for several years has been to work a thousand hours per year Hard to feel like I am getting that accomplished when January rolls around and there is a week with eight hours of work, then another with twelve, and next week is five. It will eventually accumulate, but the sparse hours and scare employment this time of year makes me a bit anxious.The best benefit of the company, in my opinion, is all employees receiving company stock at year end if you meet the qualifying parameters. Which I really make a concerted effort to do: keeping up from week to week with my hours worked to insure the accumulation of 1000 from one October to the next, prior to my anniversary/hire date. Barely squeaked by this past year, due to being off for weeks nursing my broken hand. And getting off to a poor start, again, as the days of being on the work schedule seem to be few and far between. Hopefully things will pick up...waiting for the season of roses in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment