Saturday, January 19, 2019

guilty...




... IF charged, though it is profoundly unlikely anyone will ever step forward to cause me to be in a position as 'defendant'. When family was in town last week, they were very helpful with getting a number of large bulky items to the non-profit retail shop as donations. Including a couple of things that should have been left behind: folding aluminum walkers. I think there were three in the carport. I am most thoroughly appreciative to get all that stuff moved and out of my life, but would have reserved those supports for handicapped assistance. Oh, well...

They donated two, and left the third one, thinking that it could be offered to a friend who has a parent in declining health, beginning to be un-steady on her feet. It is apparent providing some support would be a good idea, help her to maintain balance, and giving a sense of security when walking. Help to provide a bit of stability as well as allow for continued independence.

But the one they left behind was already on loan, borrowed from a friend. The loan was a semi-gift, with no expiration date, not necessarily needing to be returned. But I knew where it came from, and wanted to do the right thing, so she has it back. (And I have another item out of the carport!) Which brings us back around to the friend who could use a mobility device for her mom.

So: I hijacked a walker. One of those really fancy, first-class jobs, with hand-brakes, a cushioned place to sit and rest, and a little storage bag under the seat. Painted red, with four wheels instead of just the two, so it does  not require stolen tennis balls to be added to the back legs to improve mobility, ease of movement. It was not necessary to knock over a decrepit senior citizen, so I plan to plead not guilty of elder abuse.

Probably best that I not confess to the origin, so I won't report where the device was located before it mysteriously ended up  in the back of my car. It folds, to be more compact and portable, but I could not figure out how to collapse the legs. Leaving the back hatch of my car ajar until help was found who had experience with mobility equipment. Once you know the secret, like most things, it was profoundly simple to fold it up.

It was nasty: cobwebs, bugs, dust, icky hair on the axles. I cleaned it twice, then left it sitting in the sunshine for some fresh air. Wipe again with disinfecting wipe, and put back in  my car to deliver. That friend did not show up when I expected to see her at a once-a-month meeting downtown, so it was returned to my carport. Meaning I am back to square one: Walker storage. She has not called back with her address for me to leave it on her front porch, but I will donate if they don't want.

No comments:

Post a Comment