Sunday, January 6, 2019

drove to south...

... Georgia Saturday morning. And did  not have a minute of trouble out of  my Toyota. That was a very expensive education: paying to get it fixed twice and did not even get any credits towards graduation. I do not expect any more problems and hope to regain full confidence in being able to take it on the road without concerns for it being less than completely dependable.

Apparently the real experts, guys trained to do the work right the first time at Toyota dealership did their job. When I picked it up late Friday night, everything seemed to be in working order. I did not want to drive another vehicle to Valdosta on Sat.- mostly due to knowing I could get down there and back on one tank of gas in my car. Versus paying an arm and a leg at the pump if I drove the big pickup truck with a forty gallon tank.

The auntie was moved to another wing of the facility where she has been living since summer of 2017. Her health, mentally and physically, has declined to the point that she needed more care and a more attentive staff than was available where she has been since moving there. The change is to an area where there is a much higher staff to resident ratio, more eyes on residents and more hands to provide care to people with more chronic and acute needs. Relocating included having her sleep in a hospital bed rather than the one she had at home, that was moved with her when she left home. The decision was made that she would be in a semi-private room, so there was much less space, as opposed to the small, but private room she has been living in for the past eighteen months.

All the furniture that once filled her bedroom at her home, and since filled her small space in the assisted living facility was stored on site when she was moved. I had no idea what the storage situation was like, but knew it was temporary, and it had to be remedied. Complicating factors at home caused me to spend a month fretting about who/how/when the remedy would occur. Finally able to devote a day to leaving town and make the run to south GA.

This furniture moving project required a truck, some packing blankets/quilts/pads and a couple of guys with strong arms and backs. After calling a friend to recruit some help, who offered to be the guy with the truck, he also said he could get some men to do the heavy lifting as I knew that the l'ifter' would not be me. They met me at the rest home down the moss draped lane, loaded up dressers, tables, bed and  miscellanea, carefully wrapping and securing on the back of the truck. Delivered and unloaded back at her house, where there will eventually be an estate sale.

I left home at 5 a.m., drove for three hours, got that stuff squared away and paid my moving team. Started back north by 11:00, driving another three hours. Thankful that is taken care of, and something I do not have to think, worry, fret about any more. I do not know that there is a date, or if there are any specific plans for wrapping up household goods, just thankful this has been turned over to professional people who are knowledgeable, experienced, willing to handle all the detail. And especially thankful they will take it off my already too full plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment