Sunday, January 13, 2019

forever rescue-ing...

...bloomed out bulbs at work. I brought home a half-dozen pots today, all with those tiny little bright yellow daffodil-looking things, that might be classified as jonquils. Plus a dark rosey  pink hyacinth. I will try to get them planted tomorrow, while the sodden landscape is still trying to dry out from all that rain we have had in  recent weeks.

I have planted a number of different bulb plants, saved from the dumpster, after we take them out of inventory. I just slip them in a big trash bag, after removing bar code, to make it apparent I am not shoplifting. Not being sneaky, as many people saw me taking my trash bag full of pots, dirt and limp greenery as I walked out the door. I am thinking I will go to wally world to see if they might have some sort of fertilizer in stock to sprinkle in the hole before dropping bulbs in.

The bulbs all have green leaves, long, skinny, sword shaped, very narrow. And each one has blooms - a tiny little mini-version of daffodil. Looking exactly like a daffodil, but only the size of the end of your pinkie finger, at the end of a slender stalk. I can only hope they will bloom again, in the future, definitely not this season, as they have produced all they are gonna for a while. I am hoping that with some good rich fertilizer, something designed especially to promote growth for healthy bulbs, they might after sleeping in the dark over the next year, want to bloom and produce more flowers next spring.

Embarrassed to admit, when I was out in the yard late yesterday, going down the street for a walk after all the house guests departed: I found several pots of bulbs brought home last spring that were never transplanted into the ground/leaf mulch out under the trees. They want to grow so badly, they are sprouting, beginning to show little green shoots, in spite of  months of neglect. With luck, and more importantly - motivation - I will get them all planted tomorrow. Sunshine would certainly encourage me to want to get out side, so we might as well hope for a sunny day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment